The German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc. was founded in 1878 by Louis Vormbrock at Beck's Hall on Jefferson Street. The fifteen men who met there called themselves the Sozialer Männerchor. They hired Otto Schuler as their first music director and gave their first concert in the gardens of Beck's Hall in June 1879.
In 1884 a Constitution was established and a society flag was designed. Professor Gustav Clausnitzer became music director, a position he held for over two decades. In 1914 the Club hosted the national festival of the North American Singers Union, the largest collection of singers ever to visit Louisville.
The Club still strives to promote German culture, holding two concerts a year and many German activities at its club house and also in the city. The main dance hall and club rooms are decorated with German flags and various artifacts. Photographs of various groups who have visited from Germany are proudly displayed.
We are proud to be called the German-American Club with Southern Hospitality.
Like Us On Facebook!
© German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc. Louisville,
All rights reserved.
Society Since 1878
Ladies Auxiliary & Germanic Heritage Auxiliary
Telephone: (502) 451-3100
President: Patsy Boeckmann Stout